Re: Small doc patch about pg_service.conf

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Small doc patch about pg_service.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 02:36:50PM -0500, Noah Misch wrote:
>> The old and the new documentation are both wrong.  The directory libpq
>> consults is `pg_config --sysconfdir`, which is packager-selected but rarely
>> matches /etc itself.  parseServiceInfo() has the code in question.

> On my Fedora system, $(pg_config --sysconfdir) is /etc.  What should
> we put in the documentation?

On an install-from-source, it's $installroot/etc.  So the new
documentation is very definitely more wrong than the old, which
at least was vague about which etc directory it meant.

Well, it's more correct for the vast majority of installations. And more wrong for others. I'd still say that it's a net improvement.

We could do worse than to say it's in the directory printed by
"pg_config --sysconfdir".

Yeah. But let's make sure we include "usually /etc" or something like that.