Re: [HACKERS] Add doc advice about systemd RemoveIPC

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Add doc advice about systemd RemoveIPC
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:36 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 12/31/16 11:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I still think that some wording in the direction of the fact that the
>> majority of all users won't actually have this problem is the right thing
>> to do (regardless of our previous history in the area as pointed out by
>> Craig)
>
> +1.  The use-a-system-user solution is the one that's in place on the
> ground for most current PG users on affected platforms.  We should explain
> that one first and make clear that platform-specific packages attempt to
> set it up that way for you.  The RemoveIPC technique should be documented
> as a fallback to be used if you can't/won't use a system userid.

How about this version, which shifts the emphasis a bit, as suggested?

Looks much better.

+   <para>
+    If <productname>systemd</productname> is in use, some care must be taken
+    that IPC resources (shared memory and semaphores) are not prematurely
+    removed by the operating system.  This is especially of concern when
+    installing PostgreSQL from source.  Users of distribution packages of
+    PostgreSQL are less likely to be affected.
+   </para>

I would add "are less likely to be affected as the postgres user is normally created as a system user" or something like that -- to indicate *why* they are less likely to be affected (and it also tells people that if they change the user, then they might become affected again).