Re: Online checksums patch - once again

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Online checksums patch - once again
Дата
Re: Online checksums patch - once again  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:54 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:

> (I may have said this before, but) My overall high-level impression of
> this patch is that it's really cmmplex for a feature that you use maybe
> once in the lifetime of a cluster. I'm happy to review but I'm not
> planning to commit this myself. I don't object if some other committer
> picks this up (Magnus?).

A fairly large amount of this complexity comes out of the fact that it
now supports restarting and tracks checksums on a per-table basis. We
skipped this in the original patch for exactly this reason (that's not
to say there isn't a fair amount of complexity even without it, but it
did substantially i increase both the size and the complexity of the
patch), but in the review of that i was specifically asked for having
that added. I personally don't think it's worth that complexity but at
the time that seemed to be a pretty strong argument. So I'm not
entirely sure how to move forward with that...

is your impression that it would still be too complicated, even without that?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/