Re: apt.postgresql.org repo via https will fail will some users starting 2021-10-01

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: apt.postgresql.org repo via https will fail will some users starting 2021-10-01
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 6:42 PM Stefan Huehner <stefan@huehner.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> sending this here as looks like https://apt.postgresql.org is affected by this so this could trigger some
support/userquestions.

> Note this only (!) happens when using https:// in sources.list for the pgdg repo.
>
> Benefit of that is debatable (see recent debian-devel discussion) but i would not be surprised if some/many people
useit.

> Trigger:
> https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/openssl-client-compatibility-changes-for-let-s-encrypt-certificates/143816
>
> End of this month some CA cert will expire related to Let's Encrypt which will trigger an bug in clients using old
openssl/gnutls.

> apt is using gnutls backend and at least the version in Ubuntu <= 18.04 are affected and "apt update" will already
failfor people starting that date.

> Note that canonical is working in patching gnutls so if that finishes in time and (!) if people update before that
dateall good.

> If not they will get error similar to:
> Err:9 https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg Release
>   Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The revocation or OCSP data are old and have been
superseded.The certificate chain uses expired certificate.  Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification.
[IP:87.238.57.227 443]

> Can be triggered today i.e. with:
>
> faketime "2021-10-01" apt update
>
> Ideas:
> - Do nothing apt.postgresql suggest http:// in the instructions
> - Some on the website
> - Think on reconfiguring certbot/Let's Encrypt on the server to switch to the alternative chain (avoiding this bug
butbreaking compatibility with old Android

> - Raise as bug to debian also (against openssl/gnutls) to maybe patch both in stable also to avoid this ?
>   - Not sure if that is a interesting/acceptable material for stable/old-stable?

Hi!

We've started looking into what can and should be done on the infra
side to see if we can get this working.

One question though. In my attempts to reproduce, it seems that *wget*
on Ubuntu 18.04 has no problem with the current chain, just apt-get,
does that match with your testing?  So if one follows our instructions
of getting the gpg key with https but the actual repo with http, it
never actually presents a problem?

That's not saying we don't need to do anything about it, just to
reconfirm our tests. For example, this appears to also break RedHat 6
as well...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

От: apt.postgresql.org Repository Update
Сообщение: check-postgres updated to version 2.25.0-2.pgdg+1
От: Stefan Huehner
Сообщение: Re: apt.postgresql.org repo via https will fail will some users starting 2021-10-01