Re: Linux package upgrade without dependency conflicts

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Linux package upgrade without dependency conflicts
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 2:50 PM Zwettler Markus (OIZ)
<Markus.Zwettler@zuerich.ch> wrote:

> We run Postgres 9.6 + 12 Community Edition on RHEL7 which we install directly out of the PGDG channels using RPMs. We
alsorun Patroni installed with RPMs provided by Github.

> Currently we have major dependency conflicts with each quarterly Linux package upgrade (yum upgrade), especially on
PostGISand Patroni.

> I was told that there will be no dependency conflicts anymore when we install Postgres from sourcecode and Patroni
withpip.

> Is that correct? Because all Linux packages required by Postgres will continue to be updated.

This is not really a PostgreSQL question, it's more of a RedHat
question I'd say.

In general, no. If you install from source you will have a different
kind of dependency management, and you need to handle all of that
manually. As long as you do, there shouldn't be issues.

That said, what are your dependency conflicts? As long as you're using
the PGDG repositories on RHEL7 it should work without that. There have
been some issues with PostGIS on RHEL8, but I think they are mostly
fine on RHEL7. But if you don't actually show us what your dependency
problems are, we can't tell you how to fix it...

(And why not use Patroni from the PDGD repositories?)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: AW: Linux package upgrade without dependency conflicts
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Meaning of below statement