Re: Online enabling of checksums

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Online enabling of checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 8:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2018-02-22 08:22:48 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2/21/18 15:53, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > *Two new functions are added, pg_enable_data_checksums() and
> > pg_disable_data_checksums(). The disable one is easy -- it just changes
> > to disable. The enable one will change the state to inprogress, and then
> > start a background worker (the “checksumhelper launcher”). This worker
> > in turn will start one sub-worker (“checksumhelper worker”) in each
> > database (currently all done sequentially).*
>
> This is at least the fourth version of the pattern launcher plus worker
> background workers.  I wonder whether we can do something to make this
> easier and less repetitive.  Not in this patch, of course.

I suspect I'm going to get some grief for this, but I think the time has
come to bite the bullet and support changing databases in the same
process...

Hey, I can't even see the goalposts anymore :P

Are you saying this should be done *in general*, or specifically for background workers? I'm assuming you mean the general case? That would be very useful, but is probably a fairly non-trivial task (TM).