Re: Shorter archive URLs

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Shorter archive URLs
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 9:30 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-07-14 18:46:28 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 6:35 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
> > > This means that instead of being:
> > >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEyqGVV-s1yXQBsTpoPDCHy79j-yDtJcucrPb9Hh4CFTNg%40mail.gmail.com
> > > The url would be:
> > > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/Z0oaTfo56bV4tke6-r_PKJstHF8=
> >
> > FWIW, I don't care for that one bit. Yeah, message IDs are pretty
> > opaque in many cases, but at least they're not designed and built to
> > be opaque.  An example of what would be lost is the ability to find
> > a message given one of these URLs in any other archive, such as one's
> > personal mail archive.  (Unless one sets up a mapping table to match
> > this transform, which would be a big PITA.)
> >

> You mean going from an URL into actually finding the message, without
> looking at the actual archives site? Yeah, that wouldn't work. With access
> to the website, the message-id is right there of course.

The ability to do that is crucial for me as well.

> It is something that's fairly frequently requested, because they look bad.
> For one thing, it's regularly mentioned when discussion commit messages,
> because the "discussions:" links tend to wrap...

I kind of don't buy that that's a real problem, fwiw. It's not like one
has to read them to the end all the time. And if they wrap into the next
line, then that's fine too? They're not at the start of commit messages,
after all.

I think it's clear that the majority opinion here is that we don't want this change, and I will thus not complete the patch.  (And reference back to this discussion the next time somebody asks for it -- because it now has some good explanations on why)

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: