Re: Non-text mode for pg_dumpall

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Non-text mode for pg_dumpall
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 4:14 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 08:58:49AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom and Nathan opined recently that providing for non-text mode for
> pg_dumpall would be a Good Thing (TM). Not having it has been a
> long-standing complaint, so I've decided to give it a go.

Thank you!

Indeed, this has been quite annoying!

> I think we would need to restrict it to directory mode, at least to begin
> with. I would have a toc.dat with a different magic block (say "PGGLO"
> instead of "PGDMP") containing the global entries (roles, tablespaces,
> databases). Then for each database there would be a subdirectory (named for
> its toc entry) with a standard directory mode dump for that database. These
> could be generated in parallel (possibly by pg_dumpall calling pg_dump for
> each database). pg_restore on detecting a global type toc.data would restore
> the globals and then each of the databases (again possibly in parallel).

I'm curious why we couldn't also support the "custom" format.

Or maybe even a combo - a directory of custom format files? Plus that one special file being globals? I'd say that's what most use cases I've seen would prefer.

Сообщение: Re: Non-text mode for pg_dumpall
Сообщение: Re: Non-text mode for pg_dumpall