Re: Potentially misleading name of libpq pass phrase hook

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Potentially misleading name of libpq pass phrase hook
Дата
Re: Potentially misleading name of libpq pass phrase hook  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
Reviewing TLS changes for v13 I came across one change which I think might be
better off with a library qualified name.  The libpq frontend sslpassword hook
added in 4dc63552109f65 is OpenSSL specific, but it has a very generic name:

        PQsetSSLKeyPassHook(PQsslKeyPassHook_type hook);

This IMO has potential for confusion if we ever commit another TLS backend,
since the above hook wont work for any other library (except maybe OpenSSL
derivatives like LibreSSL et.al).  The backends will always have differently
named hooks, as the signatures will be different, but having one with a generic
name and another with a library qualified name doesn't seem too friendly to
anyone implementing with libpq.

As a point of reference; in the backend we added a TLS init hook in commit
896fcdb230e72 which also is specific to OpenSSL, but the name is library
qualified making the purpose and usecase perfectly clear: openssl_tls_init_hook.

Since we haven't shipped this there is still time to rename, which IMO is the
right way forward.  PQsslKeyPassHook_<library>_type would be one option, but
perhaps there are better alternatives?

Thoughts?

ISTM this should be renamed yeah -- and it should probably go on the open item lists, and with the schedule for the beta perhaps dealt with rather urgently?

//Magnus