Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 5:38 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
On 12/12/18 4:44 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> +1 on all that.  Per the trend of this thread, I see a bunch of
>> committers and contributors commenting about *not* removing this code,
>> so sending a patch to actually remove it looks like a throw into an
>> abysmal void.
>
> I don't think it's as clear as you make it out to be:
>
> In favor:
> - David Steele
> - Andres Freund
> - Stephen Frost, I think
> Against:
> - Simon Riggs
> - Robert Haas
> - Michael Paquier
> - Andreas Karlsson
> - Peter Eisentraut, I think
>
> While that's clearly lopsided, I still think it's pretty darn absurd to
> call such a situation "a throw into an abysmal void".

The way I read the discussion, there is no consensus for getting this
into PG12, but there does seem to be one for PG13.

I'll push this to the first post-PG12 CF when one appears.  Can we just
go ahead and create a 2019-07 CF now?  I know we generally discuss this
at PGCon, but we can always rename it, right?

We can, I guess. Are you saying you're likely to forget? :P

For 12, it would probably be good to have a more clear deprecation notice into the documentations. Is that something on your list of things to work on, or should someone else (like, uh, me)?