Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 15 June 2012 15:54, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> Well, if we think that the term "exclusive backup" is not going to be
>>> easily comprehensible, then sticking that into the function name isn't
>>> going to help us much.  I think that's just wordiness for the sake of
>>> being wordy.  I do agree that we could probably improve the clarity of
>>> the documentation along the lines you suggest.
>>
>> It would alert people to the existance of the term, and thus help
>> those who didn't actually read the documentation.
>>
>> Which actually makes an argument for making that change *anyway*,
>> because right now the function is incorrectly named. A function named
>> pg_backup_in_progress() should answer the question "is a backup in
>> progress". And it doesn't answer that question.
>
> Maybe pg_is_in_backup_mode, which would match the naming convention of
> pg_is_in_recovery, and would claim that a backup is actually underway.

Wouldn't that make it even more wrong since it doesn't include backups
taken using streaming backups?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_tim