Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 4:46 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2018-11-27 12:20:13 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:13:34PM -0500, David Steele wrote:
> > Non-exclusive backups have been available since 9.6 and several third-party
> > solutions support this mode, in addition to pg_basebackup.
>
> I think that two releases is not actually that much time to just nuke
> the exclusive backup interface.  I would be fine if the docs show the
> deprecation more aggressively using a warning section, and we could add
> an explicit WARNING message about the matter directly when calling
> pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup.

That was my gut reaction as well, but I think David's argument about
existing scripts / workflows being broken due the the recovery.conf
is a good reason to be more aggressive here.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat here -- it feels like it's a bit too short, but since we're breaking things for people *anyway*, it's probably better to break both at once than to have all those people have their things broken multiple times.