Re: Question about "ident_file" in postgres.conf

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Question about "ident_file" in postgres.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Tianyin Xu <tixu@cs.ucsd.edu> wrote:
Hi, all,

I have a question regarding the "ident_file" configuration entry.

Why the server refused to start without specifying the "ident_file", but it never cares whether the given "ident_file" is valid or not? In other word, a misconfigured non-existent path for "ident_file" can also start the server with a background message.

This does not make too much sense to me. I think the system behavior should be opposite. If the user didn't specify the "ident_file", the pg server should ignore. But if the user specifies one and that one is not valid, the user should stop because it clearly means the path is misconfigured.

Is there any concern here? Otherwise I would suggest and provide a patch to check the validity of the "ident_file" like what pg is doing for "data_directory" and "hba_file".

This is definitely a known problem. It's actually on the TODO list already, just not phrased in a way that makes it likely to be found.

It should be treated the same way as the hba_file. So sure, please do provide a patch for that if you can.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Сообщение: Re: Problem with streaming replication over SSL
Сообщение: Re: Problem with streaming replication over SSL