Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [HACKERS] GnuTLS support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 1/17/18 12:39, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't know too much about the internals here, so looking at your
>> list, I wonder whether "ssl_dh_params_file" ought to be treated as
>> implementation-specific too.  The other four files seem essential
>> to any feature-complete implementation, but is that one?

> The proposed GnuTLS patch does make use of ssl_dh_params_file.

Right, but what happens if say macTLS doesn't?

There are basically two approaches we can take here:

1. All the relevant parameters are named "ssl_something", and we have
to flag in the documentation any that are supported only by some
implementations.

2. Parameters that might be supported only by some implementations
are named with implementation-specific names, and we have to accept
that there might sometimes be both "foossl_xyz" and "barssl_xyz".

What I don't want to end up with is an unholy mixture of both approaches.
Therefore, if we are going to use method #2, we must be certain that
the basic "ssl_" parameters are supported by every implementation,
to the point where we'd reject an implementation that didn't have one.
I can see that we'd reject an implementation lacking CRL support
for instance, but I'm less clear that lack of configurable DH parameters
should be a disqualifying feature omission.  I'm prepared to be educated
either way, but that's the core question here.

So in this particular case, does it mean that to do #2, we sould actually have an openssl_dh_params_file and a gnutls_dh_params_file, but only one at any given time?

Thinking on that there is also the case of file formats. What if one provider takes a cert file, but not in the same format -- should that still be ssl_cert_file, or should it be a different parameter name? Given that you can't use it to point to the same file.