Re: Tracking replication slot "blockings"

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Tracking replication slot "blockings"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 2014-04-16 18:51:41 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'm thinking it could be interesting to know how many times (or in some
> other useful unit than "times" - how often) a specific replication slot has
> "blocked" xlog rotation. Since this AFAIK only happens during checkpoints,
> it seems it should be "reasonably cheap" to track? It would serve as an
> indicator of which slave(s) are having enough trouble keeping up to
> potentially cause issues.

The xlog removal code just check the "global minimum" required LSN - it
doesn't check the individual slots. So you'd need to add a bit more code
to that location. But it'd be easy.

Do we have statistics there somewhere - how often that global minimum blocks something? That on it's own might be a start :)

But I think I'd just monitor/graph the byte difference for all slots
using pg_replication_slots...

Yeah, that would work when monitored continously. I was more looking for the view of "hey, could this be what happened" into a system that did not previously have any monitoring installed and therefor no such history.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/