Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem
Дата
Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Список pgsql-www
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 7:32 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Peter Eisentraut
> I believe I have a promising fix for that.  By adding a <link
> rel="canonical"> to the documentation pages that point to the "current"
> version, search engines will be encouraged to return the current version
> search results.

I don't think this "encourages" them to return the current version. I
believe it teaches them that they should only ever return the current
version and the old versions are just copies of it that should never
be returned.

We could perhaps adopt that attitude altogether though. Treat all the
versions as the same page with a selector at the top between the
versions. When you land on a page if you don't pass an explicit
version as a parameter always assume the current version. Unless
people start linking to specific versions in which case the problem
starts all over.

That matches my experience with other sites. The page with the canonical ref is basically removed from the search engine, and any hits from it will go to the other page.

Since we do have the links to previous versions at the top of the page, so perhaps that's what we actually want?

--

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem
Сообщение: Re: an attempt to fix the Google search problem