Re: [HACKERS] PGSERVICEFILE as a connection string parameter

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PGSERVICEFILE as a connection string parameter
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2017-02-27 14:43:49 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I bumped into a case where it would have been rather useful to specify
> a service file path in a connection string with a service name. In my
> case, I have finished by setting up PGSERVICEFILE, but now like
> PGPASSFILE I think that being able to define the service file
> available as well as a connection parameter would be useful as well.
>
> I am not planning to work on that immediately (there is one day left
> for the last CF of PG10!), but I was wondering if people would be
> interested in something like that.

Hm - I'm not sure that's a good idea. service files are a libpq feature,
but connection strings are a bit more universal than just libpq...

That same argument applies to PGPASSFILE, does it not?

Properly implementing PGSERVICEFILE is more complicated though -- as it requires LDAP support to go there the whole way for example. But it might not hurt to encourage other drivers (such as jdbc) to support at least the basic format of pgpass.