Re: "Bugs" CF?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: "Bugs" CF?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Now, if we can easily shove stuff back and forth between the main queue
> and the bug-fix queue, maybe that's not such a big deal.  But it doesn't
> seem like the current CF app is really amenable to that; doesn't it for
> example want to leave an entry behind when you move something to another
> CF?

I agree that we'd need to have that capability if we are to go down this
road, but I won't pretend to have any idea about the level of
difficulty.  If we're agreed that this is at least reasonable to explore
then we really need to ask Magnus to weigh in when it comes to the
implementation side of things.

The technical side can certainly be handled. It would require some special-casing that might make it a bit uglier, but it's certainly doable.

We could also use the category that we have now, or even create the concept of a tag (where you can assign multiple ones). And then have a view that brings together a view of everything with a specific tag/category, *regardless* of which CF it's on.

So the patch itself would live in whatever CF it was put in (or punted to), but you can get a global view. Which with a filter would make it easy to see "everything flagged as a bugfix that has not been committed". Which I think is the main thing we're looking for here, is it not?

Apart from being cleaner from the code perspective, I think that might make it more clean from a user perspective as well. It would also mean that a patch can easily be re-categorised in and out of being a bugfix quite simply, and just get a history entry when that happens (and not a bumped-between-cf entry).

Another thought which occured to me, just to throw it out there, was the
idea of a "Next point release" kind of CF, which is perhaps renamed when
to whatever the point release actually is and anything which didn't make
it is bumped to a new CF entry, or something along those lines.

That doesn't sound like a CF to me. Again, it might be a tag or a category or something, but the main thing with the CF term is that it's the fixed-period cycle of development. We shouldn't start abusing that too much...