Re: pg_basebackup --xlog compatibility break

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: pg_basebackup --xlog compatibility break
Дата
Re: pg_basebackup --xlog compatibility break  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> In 9.1, the pg_basebackup option --xlog takes no argument.  In 9.2, it
> takes a required argument.  I think such compatibility breaks should be
> avoided, especially in client-side programs.  Now you can't write a
> script running pg_basebackup that works with 9.1 and 9.2, if you need to
> include the WAL.
>
> I think the behavior of -x/--xlog should be restored to the state of
> 9.1, and a new option should be added to select between the fetch and
> stream methods.  (With a suitable default, this would also increase
> usability a bit.)

Just to be clear - it's not possible to actually accept -x with an
*optional* parameter, is it? Meaning "-x" would mean the same as "-x
fetch" and therefor become backwards compatible?

IIRC I did try that, and didn't get it to work - but if that's doable,
that seems like the cleanest way?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/