Re: Add default role 'pg_access_server_files'

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Add default role 'pg_access_server_files'
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

This patch adds a new default role called 'pg_access_server_files' which
allows an administrator to GRANT to a non-superuser role the ability to
access server-side files through PostgreSQL (as the user the database is
running as).  By itself, having this role allows a non-superuser to use
server-side COPY and to use file_fdw (if installed by a superuser and
GRANT'd USAGE on it).

Further, this patch moves the privilege check for the remaining misc
file functions from explicit superuser checks to the GRANT system,
similar to what's done for pg_ls_logdir() and others.  Lastly, these
functions are changed to allow a user with the 'pg_access_server_files'
role to be able to access files outside of the PG data directory.

This follows on and continues what was recently done with the
lo_import/export functions.  There's other superuser checks to replace
with grant'able default roles, but those probably make more sense as
independent patches.  I continue to be of the opinion that it'd be nice
to have more fine-grained control over these functions to limit the
access granted, but nothing here prevents that from being done and this
at least allows some movement away from having to have roles with
superuser access.

Would it make sense to separate out:
* write from read. E.g. a pg_write_server_files/pg_read_server_files? ISTM that will turn into a pretty common request...
* execute from read/write, so COPY FROM PROGRAM etc would be a separate role?

I realize we don't want to go overboard with the number of roles here, but at least separating read from write seems useful.