Re: non-superuser reserved connections? connection pools?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: non-superuser reserved connections? connection pools?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 00:01, Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net> wrote:
> It would be nice to be able to set aside a few connections for non-superusers, such as stats-monitoring connections.
There'soften no reason to grant these users superuser privileges (they're just observers, and security-definer
functionscan make anything visible that they may need)), but at the same time you want them to be able to connect even
whenthe "normal" pool of slots may be full.

> I googled a bit, assuming there had been discussion of something similar in the past, but didn't find anything.
>
> I'm not sure what configuration would look like. Perhaps there's a generalized "connection pool" concept that's
missing,extending the current "superuser" connection pool specified by the superuser_reserved_connections GUC something
like:

> CREATE CONNECTION POOL stats WITH LIMIT 10; -- 40 connections allotted for the foo connection pool.
> ALTER ROLE nagios WITH CONNECTION POOL foo; -- the nagios role is allowed to take a connection from the foo
connectionpool.

> Right now, of course, connection limits are set in postgresql.conf and only alterable on restart, so perhaps there
couldbe a connection_pools GUC, something along the lines of:

> connection_pools={stats=3,superuser=10}
> max_connections=100
>
> The connections allotted to "superuser" would have the same meaning as the current superuser_reserved_connections
GUC.

> Does this seem to be a useful feature to anyone else?

Yeah, I'd definitely find it useful. Gives you a bit more flexibility
than just using connection limiting on the individual user (though in
your specific case here, that might work, if all your stats processes
are with the same user).

No comments on the implementation suggestions at this point ;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/