Re: Bison 3.0 updates

От Marti Raudsepp
Тема Re: Bison 3.0 updates
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> On 07/29/2013 01:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Buildfarm member anchovy has been failing for the last couple of days,
>> evidently because its owner just couldn't wait to adopt bison 3.0,
>> which is all of 3 days old.

Hmm? Anchovy is upgrading automatically to newest Arch Linux packages daily.

I assumed that's a good thing -- the purpose of build farm is to test
PostgreSQL in various different real-life environments? Arch Linux is
one such environment that adopts new packages very quickly. If Arch
users are unable to build PostgreSQL then surely it's good to be
notified by the build farm before real users start reporting problems?

I don't mean to sound reluctant, I'm open to suggestions, but please
help me understand why this is bad.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Reminder to buildfarm animal owners: if you upgrade software please make
> sure your buildfarm members are still working.

If I had checked the machine's status manually after upgrading, the
best course of action would be to report the incompatibility to
PostgreSQL mailing lists. The end result is the same, in that sense,
it was "working". Manual upgrades would only delay that reporting, not
prevent it?

I realize there have been problems with anchovy that are my own fault
and I'm sorry about that. I check the buildfarm status every week or
two.

> And if the upgrade involves
> the OS or the compiler, please use the udate_personality.pl script to update
> the server.

Is it OK to run update_personality.pl automatically every day from crontab?

Regards,
Marti