Re: Removing special case OID generation

От Marti Raudsepp
Тема Re: Removing special case OID generation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 15:08, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly, I think the biggest hassle of the OID code is not so much
> the way they're generated as the way they're stored within heap
> tuples.  I've wondered whether we should go through the system
> catalogs and replace all of the hidden OID columns with a normal
> column called "oid" of type OID

Do we have a clear idea about what to do with user tables that are
created WITH OIDS? Do we care about compatibility with that at all? Do
we generate this explicit "oid" column manually or do we just tell
users to use a serial or global sequence instead?

Personally I'd also like to see us get rid of the default_with_oids
setting -- I assume the existence of that is the reason why pgAdmin
and TOAD still generate table DDL with an explicit "WITH (OIDS=FALSE)"

Regards,
Marti