Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Tels <nospam-pg-abuse@bloodgate.com> wrote:
Moin,

> Hmm Ok. I am not entirely sure whether it's the depth or just purely
> binary
> searching through 3-4 index pages and/or pinning/unpinning buffers result
> in much overhead. I will run some more tests and collect evidences.

Just a question trying to understand how btree indexes work:

If one inserts ever-increasing value, is the tree a balanced tree with a
minimum (or at least not-as-high) number of levels, or does it increase in
height every insert and creates a "tall stack"?

AFAIK all pages will be half-filled in this case. Imagine if one index page can accommodate N entries, the page will be split when (N+1)th entry is added. The left page will have half the entries and the right page will get the remaining. The next split will happen when the right page is full  i.e. when another N/2 entries are added. Thus there will be a split at every N/2 inserts, creating an index with half filled pages.

Thanks,
Pavan

Сообщение: Re: Enhance pg_stat_wal_receiver view to display connected host
Сообщение: Re: Enhance pg_stat_wal_receiver view to display connected host