Re: [HACKERS] Indirect indexes

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Indirect indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Pavan Deolasee
<pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a design to convert WARM chains back to HOT and that will increase
> the percentage of WARM updates much beyond 50%. I was waiting for feedback
> on the basic patch before putting in more efforts, but it went unnoticed
> last CF.

While you did sign up to review one patch in the last CF, the amount
of review you did for that patch is surely an order of magnitude less
than what WARM will require.  Maybe more than that.  I don't mean to
point the finger at you specifically -- there are lots of people
slinging patches into the CommitFest who aren't doing as much review
as their own patches will require.

I understand the point you're trying to make and I am not complaining that WARM did not receive a review, even though I would very much like that to happen because I see it's a right step forward in solving some of the problems Postgres users face. But I also understand that every committer and developer is busy with the stuff that they see important and interesting.

To be fair to myself, I did try to find patches with equal or more complexity. But most of them had (multiple) reviewers assigned and were being discussed for weeks and months. I did not think I could contribute positively to those discussions, mostly because meaningful review at that point would require much more in-depth knowledge of the area. So I picked couple of patches which did not have any reviewers. May be not the best decision, but I did what I thought was correct.

I'll try to do more review in the next CF. Obviously that does not guarantee that WARM will see a reviewer, but hopefully I would have done my bit.

Thanks,
Pavan