Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

От Pavan Deolasee
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Pavan Deolasee wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:

> > The simple_heap_update + CatalogUpdateIndexes pattern is getting
> > obnoxious.  How about creating something like catalog_heap_update which
> > does both things at once, and stop bothering each callsite with the WARM
> > stuff?
>
> What I realised that there are really 2 patterns:
> 1. simple_heap_insert, CatalogUpdateIndexes
> 2. simple_heap_update, CatalogUpdateIndexes
>
> There are only couple of places where we already have indexes open or have
> more than one tuple to update, so we call CatalogIndexInsert directly. What
> I ended up doing in the attached patch is add two new APIs which combines
> the two steps of each of these patterns. It seems much cleaner to me and
> also less buggy for future users. I hope I am not missing a reason not to
> do combine these steps.

CatalogUpdateIndexes was just added as a convenience function on top of
a very common pattern.  If we now have a reason to create a second one
because there are now two very common patterns, it seems reasonable to
have two functions.  I think I would commit the refactoring to create
these functions ahead of the larger WARM patch, since I think it'd be
bulky and largely mechanical.  (I'm going from this description; didn't
read your actual code.)

Sounds good. Should I submit that as a separate patch on current master?

Thanks,
Pavan