Re: PgJDBC: code reformat

От Vladimir Sitnikov
Тема Re: PgJDBC: code reformat
Дата
Re: PgJDBC: code reformat  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
I did try reformatting with "opening braces on new line".
It turned out it is incompatible with checkstyle:
https://travis-ci.org/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/jobs/98976190

There are 17 "... have incorrect indentation level" failures.
Most of which are due to enum initialization in

https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/197175039068446a15c30d2b5e949f1eae08515d/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/hostchooser/HostRequirement.java#L16-L29

I have just two requirements:
1) IDEA's autoformat should be able to produce the desired style
(minimal modifications are bearable)
2) The style should be enforced, in other words, checkstyle (or
whatever tools is used) should be able to catch most of the styling
issues.

As Garvin/Dave/Markus vote for "braces on new line", would you please
suggest how to fix checkstyle errors?
For instance:
/home/travis/build/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/jdbc/PgResultSet.java:2439:
error: 'object def lcurly' have incorrect indentation level 6,
expected level should be one of the following: 2, 4.

https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/197175039068446a15c30d2b5e949f1eae08515d/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/jdbc/PgResultSet.java#L2439

PS.
I do not care where the braces are.
However, this makes me cry:

https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/197175039068446a15c30d2b5e949f1eae08515d/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/Driver.java#L353-L373
There are probably better ways of writing that, but those "new lines
for opening brackets" make it much worse.

PPS.
>The other style looks cluttered, and is harder to see

Gavin,
I feel your pain, however I still think you are trying to solve "badly
written code" with "reformat code" approach.
That just does not work.

Compare this one:

https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/197175039068446a15c30d2b5e949f1eae08515d/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/jdbc/PgResultSet.java#L2462-L2512
with this one:
https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/blob/197175039068446a15c30d2b5e949f1eae08515d/pgjdbc/src/main/java/org/postgresql/core/v3/QueryExecutorImpl.java#L264-L311

Do you see how QueryExecutorImpl.java#L264-L311 is much readable?

PgResultSet#getFastLong is very hard to follow no matter which way you
format the braces.
I believe, "readability" comes from proper segmentation (code blocks
vs methods) and proper variable naming.

Vladimir