Re: [doc] clarify behaviour of pg_dump's -t/--table option with non-tables

От Ian Lawrence Barwick
Тема Re: [doc] clarify behaviour of pg_dump's -t/--table option with non-tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2020年10月6日(火) 22:48 Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>:

> On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 3:45 PM Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2020年10月6日(火) 21:58 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Recently I ran into a case where someone was wondering why it was not
>> > possible to dump the contents of a view, even though the documentation [1]
>> > seems to imply this is possible.
>> >
>> > Currently it says:
>> >
>> >   Dump only tables with names matching pattern. For this purpose, "table"
>> >   includes views, materialized views, sequences, and foreign tables.
>> >
>> > The attached patch attempts to clarify that only definitions of those objects
>> > will be dumped, and also mentions that dumping foreign table data requires the
>> > --include-foreign-data option.
>> >
>> > I suggest backpatching any changes to Pg13 where the --include-foreign-data
>> > option was added.
>> >
>> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgdump.html
>>
>> Better version attached.
>

> Argh, perfect timing. I'll update with your new version :)

Whoops, wasn't expecting such a quick response. Thanks!

FWIW, I sent in another patch suggesting removal of an ancient
backwards compatibility
"Note" under the same -t/--tables option description [1].

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAB8KJ%3DjYHgnxLLZSNJz7gBTck4TxomngCmGkw3nEMSNF0yL6wA%40mail.gmail.com

Regards

Ian Barwick

--