Re: WAL's listing in pg_xlog by some sql query

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: WAL's listing in pg_xlog by some sql query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Vik Fearing (vik@2ndquadrant.fr) wrote:
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION ls_dir(text)
>>  RETURNS SETOF text
>>  LANGUAGE sql
>>  SECURITY DEFINER
>> AS 'select * from pg_ls_dir($1)';
>
> This isn't a good idea as it allows access to a great deal more than
> just the number of xlogs.  Further, as described above, it gives that
> access to everyone and not just to specific roles.

Sure, because it is possible to a path string at will. In the context
of this use case, Alex could just hardcode pg_xlog and nothing else
than the list of files in this path would be leaked to a user who has
the execution grant right of this function.

> This is a great example of why we should provide an explicit function
> which is documented (both in our documentation and in the documentation
> of tools like check_postgres.pl) that users can use and can GRANT access
> to for their monitoring systems which gives access to only the
> information needed- that is, the number of xlog segments.

I have been wondering for some time now about the possibility to have
at SQL level a representation of the shared memory structure
XLogCtlData instead, though there is no tracking of what is the newest
segment that has been recycled ahead, but it could be a reason to
track that as well.
--
Michael