Re: [GENERAL] Which release does a commit end up getting into?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Which release does a commit end up getting into?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM,  <jpap00@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm keen on using the functionality in the commit dated Jan 2, 2017 below.
>
> Probing the git repo however it exists only in the master branch and not tagged in a release.  The most recent
release,tag REL9_6_2, contains commits after Jan 2, but does not contain this commit.  The commit appears to have been
insertedinto the 2017-01 CommitFest [2].

> How are commits filtered into releases?  i.e. when can we expect this commit to appear in a release?
>
> [1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=de41869b64d57160f58852eab20a27f248188135
>
>     commit de41869b64d57160f58852eab20a27f248188135
>     Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>     Date:   Mon Jan 2 21:37:12 2017 -0500
>
>         Allow SSL configuration to be updated at SIGHUP.
>
> [2] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/12/863/

You may be confused by the particular branching model that Postgres
uses in its git repository. There is one master branch where all the
latest development goes, and a set of stable branches, one per major
version. Community maintaining a major version for 5 years, there are
up to 6 branches maintained at the same time. Patches are also not
merged from the master to the stable branches, they are cherry-picked
by committers, which makes the story of the project easier to follow
(there are usually small conflicts as well).

In short you will need to wait for Postgres 10 before using this
feature, which will hopefully be released next September if everything
is on tracks. Note that in stable branches no new features are
allowed, only bug fixes are accepted. Nothing prevents you to fork the
9.2 branch and apply this commit on a custom build, just it won't be
supported by community per its forking nature.
--
Michael

От: jpap00@gmail.com
Сообщение: [GENERAL] Which release does a commit end up getting into?
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] count case when - PG 9.2