Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updated tuple
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix freezing of a dead HOT-updatedtuple  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-committers
On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Looking at 0002: I agree with the stuff being done here.

The level of details you are providing with a proper error code is an
improvement over the first version proposed in my opinion.

> I think a
> couple of these checks could be moved one block outerwards in term of
> scope; I don't see any reason why the check should not apply in that
> case. I didn't catch any place missing additional checks.

In FreezeMultiXactId() wouldn't it be better to issue an error as well
for this assertion?
Assert(!TransactionIdPrecedes(members[i].xid, cutoff_xid));

> Despite these being "shouldn't happen" conditions, I think we should
> turn these up all the way to ereports with an errcode and all, and also
> report the XIDs being complained about.  No translation required,
> though.  Other than those changes and minor copy editing a commit
> (attached), 0002 looks good to me.

+           if (!(tuple->t_infomask & HEAP_XMAX_LOCK_ONLY) &&
+               TransactionIdDidCommit(xid))
+               ereport(ERROR,
+                       (errcode(ERRCODE_DATA_CORRUPTED),
+                        errmsg("can't freeze committed xmax %u", xid)));
The usual wording used in errmsg is not the "can't" but "cannot".

+               ereport(ERROR,
+                       (errcode(ERRCODE_DATA_CORRUPTED),
+                        errmsg_internal("uncommitted Xmin %u from
before xid cutoff %u needs to be frozen",
+                                        xid, cutoff_xid)));
"Xmin" I have never seen, but "xmin" I did.

> I started thinking it'd be good to report block number whenever anything
> happened while scanning the relation.  The best way to go about this
> seems to be to add an errcontext callback to lazy_scan_heap, so I attach
> a WIP untested patch to add that.  (I'm not proposing this for
> back-patch for now, mostly because I don't have the time/energy to push
> for it right now.)

I would recommend to start a new thread and to add that patch to the
next commit fest as you would get more visibility and input from other
folks on -hackers. It looks like a good idea to me.
--
Michael

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Support Parallel Append plan nodes.
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Support Parallel Append plan nodes.