Re: Re: PATCH: Split stats file per database WAS: autovacuum stress-testing our system

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Re: PATCH: Split stats file per database WAS: autovacuum stress-testing our system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 05/26/2016 10:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> In view of 52e8fc3e2, there's more or less no case in which we'd be
>> writing stats without writing stats for the shared catalogs. So I'm
>> tempted to propose that we try to reduce the overhead by merging the
>> shared-catalog stats back into the global-stats file, thereby
>> halving the filesystem metadata traffic for updating those.
>
> [...]
>
> That being said, I'm not opposed to merging the shared catalog into the
> global-stats file - it's not really a separate database so having it in a
> separate file is a bit weird.

While looking at this stuff, to be honest I got surprised that shared
relation stats are in located in a file whose name depends on
InvalidOid, so +1 from here as well to merge that into the global
stats file.
--
Michael