Re: improving speed of make check-world

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: improving speed of make check-world
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 4/23/15 1:22 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>> Something about this commit (dcae5faccab64776376d354d) broke "make
>> check" in parallel conditions when started from a clean directory.  It
>> fails with a different error each time, one example:
>>
>> make -j4 check > /dev/null
>>
>> In file included from gram.y:14515:
>> scan.c: In function 'yy_try_NUL_trans':
>> scan.c:10307: warning: unused variable 'yyg'
>> /usr/bin/ld: tab-complete.o: No such file: No such file or directory
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [psql] Error 1
>> make[2]: *** [all-psql-recurse] Error 2
>> make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> make[1]: *** [all-bin-recurse] Error 2
>> make: *** [all-src-recurse] Error 2
>> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>
> I think the problem is that "check" depends on "all", but now also
> depends on temp-install, which in turn runs install and all.  With a
> sufficient amount of parallelism, you end up running two "all"s on top
> of each other.
>
> It seems this can be fixed by removing the check: all dependency.  Try
> removing that in the top-level GNUmakefile.in and see if the problem
> goes away.  For completeness, we should then also remove it in the other
> makefiles.

Yep. I spent some time yesterday and today poking at that, but I
clearly missed that dependency.. Attached is a patch fixing the
problem. I tested check and check-world with some parallel jobs and
both worked. In the case of check, the amount of logs is very reduced
because all the install process is done by temp-install which
redirects everything into tmp_install/log/install.log.
--
Michael

Вложения