Re: unrecognized option '--help

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: unrecognized option '--help
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM, D. S. <spider@skuggor.se> wrote:
> Explanation:
> If anything is ahead of --help, "--help" is then an unrecognized
> option.

It is wanted this way for all the utilities of src/bin. See
handle_help_version_opts() in src/bin/scripts/common.c for your case.

> But the error message is still nonsensical, absurd and in the end, not
> very helpful.

Why? We could change handle_help_version_opts() to track the instances
of --help/-? or --version/-V in the whole set of argc but:
1) This would change a behavior that has been like that for a long time
2) To which one should we give priority if both are specified
3) I am expecting someone else to show up and say that this is spec-compliant
Still arguably that's a feature, not a bug.
--
Michael