Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Automatic cleanup of oldest WAL segments with pg_receivexlog  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:10 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure this logic belongs in pg_receivexlog. If we put the decision
> making there, then we lock ourselves into one "type of policy".
>
> Wouldn't this one, along with some other scenarios, be better provided by
> the "run command at end of segment" function that we've talked about before?
> And then that external command could implement whatever aging logic would be
> appropriate for the environment?

OK, I forgot a bit about this past discussion. So let's say that we
have a command, why not also allow users to use at will a marker %f to
indicate the file name just completed? One use case here is to scan
the file for the oldest and/or newest timestamps of the segment just
finished to do some retention policy with something else in charge of
the cleanup.

The option name would be --end-segment-command? Any better ideas of names?
--
Michael