Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Re: BUG #13685: Archiving while idle every archive_timeout with wal_level hot_standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, but to what benefit?  You're just turning a smaller patch into a
>>> bigger one and requiring churning a bunch of code that wouldn't
>>> otherwise need to be touched.  I think Michael has a good point.
>>
>> It has the advantage of not ending up with an extra interface, that
>> we're otherwise never going to get rid of? If not now, when would we
>> remove it? Sure it touches a few more lines, but that's entirely trivial
>> mechanical changes, so what?

Note: the patch has grown from 15kB to 46kB by switching to the
extended interface to the addition of an argument in XLogInsert().

> I don't feel that there's only one right way to do this, but I think
> Michael's position is both reasonable and similar to what we have done
> in previous cases of this sort.

To be honest, my heart still balances for the Extended() interface.
This reduces the risk of conflicts with back-patching with 9.5.
--
Michael