Re: Parallel query execution

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Parallel query execution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 01:28:18PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>     Claudio, Stephen,
>
>     It really seems like the areas where we could get the most "bang for the
>     buck" in parallelism would be:
>
>     1. Parallel sort
>     2. Parallel aggregation (for commutative aggregates)
>     3. Parallel nested loop join (especially for expression joins, like GIS)
>
> parallel data load? :/

We have that in pg_restore, and I thinnk we are getting parallel dump in
9.3, right?  Unfortunately, I don't see it in the last 9.3 commit-fest.
Is it still being worked on?
Not exactly, I meant something like being able to use parallel processing when doing INSERT or COPY directly in core. If there is a parallel processing infrastructure, it could also be used for such write operations. I agree that the cases mentioned by Josh are far more appealing though...
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com