Re: [DOCS] nothing ever works

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [DOCS] nothing ever works
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/plpgsql-statements.html
>>
>> Your documentation although it seems straight forward actually never
>> works.
>>
>> The dynamic sql section gives example code, it does not execute.
>>
>> It does not exec in a script block or as plain sql.
>>
>> Please explain limitations or where the script can actually be executed.
>>
>> As a beginner starting out in postgre you can never rely on the
>> documentation because the same thing happens, you copy the code and make
>> your modifications and you get syntax error.
>>
>> The same problem exists with the Perform statement. It does not work as
>> advertised, you cannot execute it in a function or in a script block.
>>
>> Clearly define the limitations of your language so that developers
>> don't
>> waste their time.
>>
>> Coming from ms sql quite frankly I would never recommend postgress. The
>> barrior to entry into actualy writing code is too great.

Many people around the world praise Postgres for the quality of its
documentation. If you are not willing to spend time analyzing your
mistakes by yourself or what you are doing wrong, there are many
companies providing classes that could help you.

> can you specify, please, what is wrong?
>
> The storing procedures in ms and pg are two different worlds - and start can
> be difficult.

Yes, and the queries specified in this portion of the docs need to be
executed within a plpgsql function block. Just copy-pasting them into
a psql terminal would give you nothing.
--
Michael