Re: Replication with 9.4

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Replication with 9.4
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM, Madovsky wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM, Madovsky wrote:
>> Requesting the master would be necessary, still I don't really get why
>> you don't want to query the master for read queries... You could for
>> example plug on top of the master pgbouncer if you have many
>> connections, but well at this stage I have no idea of what is your use
>> case.
>

> Your idea is interesting, but unfortunately not dynamic and not for a per
> user basis.
> like we can change synchronous_commit on the fly and per block transactions
> so
> why not the same for standby priority?
> I'm trying to use the master for write only.

There can be only one sync standby at a time, and please note again
the difference between WAL flush and WAL replay. Synchonous
replication ensures that the former has been done, not the latter. As
far as this thread goes, it seems to me that you are taking a more
bug-prone approach on your application-side which could be solved by
just querying the master... Another idea would be to add some
meta-data in the schema to check the validity of the things replayed,
like a state-of-data-per-user or a data-version-number-per-user in a
dedicated table, this would avoid having to make the application
WAL-aware, still you would need to make the application aware of this
meta-data in some way, which would surely require to query the master
or update some cache or a file on client side. Still I don't see why
you would need to use this approach, and no reason is given to justify
*why* this would be needed in your case. But well I guess I cannot
stop you to do so if you wish to do it :)
--
Michael