Re: Writing new unit tests with PostgresNode

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Writing new unit tests with PostgresNode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 22 February 2016 at 14:30, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> - All the core routines used should be compatible down to perl 5.8.8.
>
> Ugh. So not just Perl, ancient perl.
>
> I don't suppose Perl offers any kind of "compatible(5.8.8)" statement or
> anything? Do I have to compile a ten-year-old Perl and its dependencies to
> work on PostgreSQL tests?
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Perl-MinimumVersion/lib/Perl/MinimumVersion.pm
> looks useful; do you think it's reasonable for code that passes that check
> to just be thrown at the buildfarm?

No, I don't use those old versions :) Module::CoreList->first_release
is one way to do that for a module:
$ perl -MModule::CoreList -e ' print
Module::CoreList->first_release('Test::More'), "\n";'
5.006002
Last time I was dealing with that I had as well a look at
http://perldoc.perl.org/, which was quite helpful by browsing through
each version.

>> > Sound about right? I can tidy that up a bit and turn it into a README
>> > and
>> > add a reference to that to the public tap docs to tell users where to go
>> > if
>> > they want to write more tests.
>>
>> Yes, please.
>
> Will do that now.

This is definitely independent from the efforts of the other patches.

>> > I don't know how many suites we'll want - whether it'll be desirable to
>> > have
>> > a few suites with lots of tests or to have lots of suites with just a
>> > few
>> > tests. I'm planning on starting by adding a suite named 'replication'
>> > and
>> > putting some tests for failover slots in there. Reasonable?
>>
>> It seems to me that the failover slot tests should be part of the
>> recovery test suite I have proposed already. Those are located in
>> src/test/recovery, introducing as well a set of routines in
>> PostgresNode.pm that allows one to pass options to PostgresNode::init
>> to enable archive or streaming on a given node. I would believe that
>> any replication suite is going to need that, and I have done a bunch
>> of legwork to make sure that this works on Windows as well.
>

> Not committed yet, I see. That's https://commitfest.postgresql.org/9/438/
> right?

Yeah... That's life.

> I'd rather not duplicate your work there, so I should build on that. Is
> there a public git tree for that?

The latest set of patches is here:
https://github.com/michaelpq/postgres/commits/recovery_regression
Those are the ones I sent a couple of days back on -hackers. Hopefully
those will get integrated into the core code.
--
Michael

Сообщение: Re: Writing new unit tests with PostgresNode
Сообщение: Re: Writing new unit tests with PostgresNode