Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2016-04-04 06:19:04 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
>>
>> If archive_timeout > 0 we should avoid logging XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS if idle.
>>
>> Bug 13685 reported by Laurence Rowe, investigated in detail by Michael Paquier,
>> though this is not his proposed fix.
>> 20151016203031.3019.72930@wrigleys.postgresql.org
>>
>> Simple non-invasive patch to allow later backpatch to 9.4 and 9.5

Well...

> Uh. This is wrong. For one it breaks cleanup with logical decoding which
> does *NEED* to know that nothing is happening. Although only once, not repeatedly.

On top of that, it does not interact with the snapshots logged by
other backends. We may want something in shared memory instead to
control the whole facility. Nor does this commit fix the checkpoint
skip logic.
--
Michael

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server