Re: [GSOC] questions about idea "rewrite pg_dump as library"

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [GSOC] questions about idea "rewrite pg_dump as library"
Дата
Re: [GSOC] questions about idea "rewrite pg_dump as library"  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
class="gmail_quote"><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">>Well, either they want that or they want that output more<br /><div class="im"> >
accessibly,and without all the baggage that pg_dump necessarily<br /> > brings to the table. pg_dump does a lot of
stuffthat's basically<br /> > designed for bulk operations, and often what people want is a way to<br /> > get,
say,the creation DDL for some object, without any locks than<br /> > the usual locks any transaction takes.<br /><br
/></div>Yes-being able to get that from a simple database function would be<br /> very nice.  I wonder if some of
what'sbeen done with the "event"<br /> triggers would inform us about what that API should look like.<br
class="gmail_extra">theevent trigger threads but nothing has been committed I think. Also, you<br /></div><div
class="gmail_extra">need to consider that implementing such reverse engineering mechanism in<br />core might not be a
goodthing for new features and maintenance, as it<br />would mean that it is necessary to change those APIs