Re: Reviewing freeze map code

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 4:40 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Andres Freund wrote:
>>

>>> If we had a checking module for all this it'd possibly be sufficient,
>>> but we don't.
>>
>> Here's an idea.  We need core-blessed extensions (src/extensions/, you
>> know I've proposed this before), so why not take this opportunity to
>> create our first such and make it carry a function to scan a table
>> completely to do this task.
>>
>> Since we were considering a new VACUUM option, surely this is serious
>> enough to warrant more than just contrib.
>
> What does "core-blessed" mean?  The commit rights for contrib/ are the
> same as they are for src/

Personally I understand contrib/ modules as third-part plugins that
are considered as not enough mature to be part of src/backend or
src/bin, but one day they could become so. See pg_upgrade's recent
move for example. src/extensions/ includes third-part plugins that are
thought as useful, are part of the main server package, but are not
something that we want to enable by default.
--
Michael