Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM,  <vodevsh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html
>
> > The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible means
> of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
> postgresql.conf
>
> Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
> supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
> not touching the postgres.conf - isn't is confusing in manual?..

The documentation looks correctly shaped to me per this paragraph
above the one you mention here:
In addition to postgresql.conf, a PostgreSQL data directory contains a
file postgresql.auto.conf, which has the same format as
postgresql.conf but should never be edited manually.

So, citing postgresql.conf, which can be edited manually, looks correct to me.
--
Michael