Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/15, 7:11 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>>
>>> If we had an independent transaction coordinator then I agree with you

>> It is a property of 2PC to ensure that a prepared transaction will
>> commit. Now, once it is confirmed on the coordinator that all the
>> remote nodes have successfully PREPAREd, the coordinator issues COMMIT
>> PREPARED to each node. What do you do if some nodes report ABORT
>> PREPARED while other nodes report COMMIT PREPARED? Do you abort the
>> transaction on coordinator, commit it or FATAL? This lets the cluster
>> in an inconsistent state, meaning that some consistent cluster-wide
>> recovery point is needed as well (Postgres-XC and XL have introduced
>> the concept of barriers for such problems, stuff created first by
>> Pavan Deolassee).
>

> My understanding is that once you get a successful PREPARE that should mean
> that it's basically impossible for the transaction to fail to commit. If
> that's not the case, I fail to see how you can get any decent level of
> sanity out of this...
When giving the responsability of a group of COMMIT PREPARED to a set
of nodes in a network, there could be a couple of problems showing up,
of the type split-brain for example. There could be as well failures
at hardware-level, so you would need a mechanism ensuring that WAL is
consistent among all the nodes, with for example the addition of a
common restore point on all the nodes once PREPARE is successfully
done with for example XLOG_RESTORE_POINT. That's a reason why I think
that the local Coordinator should use 2PC as well, to ensure a
consistency point once all the remote nodes have successfully
PREPAREd, and a reason why things can get complicated for either the
DBA or the upper application in charge of ensuring the DB consistency
even in case of critical failures.
--
Michael

От: Kohei KaiGai
Сообщение: Re: Custom/Foreign-Join-APIs (Re: [v9.5] Custom Plan API)
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Parallel Seq Scan