Re: Fix checkpoint skip logic on idle systems by tracking LSN progress

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Fix checkpoint skip logic on idle systems by tracking LSN progress
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:12 AM, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> I tried the attached patch set and noticed an interesting behavior. With
> archive_timeout=5 whenever I made a change I would get a WAL segment within
> a few seconds as expected then another one would follow a few minutes later.

That's intentional. We may be able to make XLOG_SWITCH records as not
updating the progress LSN, but I wanted to tackle that as a separate
patch once we got the basics done correctly, which is still what I
think this patch is doing. I should have been more precise upthread:
this patch makes the handling of checkpoint skip logic correct for
only standby snapshots, not segment switches, and puts the infra to
handle other things.
--
Michael