Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Request for vote to move forward with recovery.conf overhaul
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Phil Sorber <phil@omniti.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Michael Paquier
>> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > No problem to support both. The only problem I see is if the same
>> > parameter is defined in recovery.conf and postgresql.conf, is the priority
>> > given to recovery.conf?
>>
>> I would think that if someone created a recovery.conf file they would
>> expect that to be given priority. Otherwise they would know that was a
>> deprecated method and would set it in postgresql.conf only.
>
> Please find attached an half-cooked patch supporting both postgresql.conf
> and recovery.conf. Priority is given to recovery.conf if the same parameter
> is specified in both files. I have updated the docs in consequence but I
> think they can be improved.
> The main modification here is in xlog.c:readRecoveryCommandFile where the
> deparsed output values of recovery.conf is transferred to the new GUCs using
> SetConfigOption($OPTION, $VALUE, PGC_POSTMASTER, PGC_S_OVERRIDE) as bridge.
> This does not work yet, SetConfigOption is not able to detect the new
> values. Comments?

So... what happens when recovery ends?  Do the settings loaded from
recovery.conf get reverted, or what?
With current patch the settings are kept if set in postgresql.conf and discarded if they are loaded as GUC after a server restart or reload.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com