Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Remove Windows crash dump support?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> On 22 December 2015 at 23:48, Alex Ignatov <a.ignatov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>>

>>> I think that you can debug crash dump since windbg exists.
>>

>> Nobody in their right mind uses windbg though. Visual Studio is really where
>> it's at and the Express versions make it much more practical.

Well, FWIW, I have been working lately on a bug hidden in a custom
background worker on Windows that crashed in some weird way with a
0x000000C5, and while I have a reproducible test case I have not yet
found the time to look at it yet but I would think that this is
generating a core dump, and that I will need to use windbg for that.
Hence count me on the -1 team.

>> You can't even install Debugging Tools for Windows and Windbg standalone
>> anymore.
>>

>>> Also I think that Postgres on Windows number  of instalations is so tiny
>>> because people even today think that it is not so solid as unix version
>>> thats why you think that nobody use your code ;).
>>

>> I disagree. Windows Pg users are often at bigger companies and don't talk
>> about PostgreSQL as much. Often for fear of reprisals from other database
>> vendors they have ongoing relationships with.  At least that's been my
>> experience and I'm sure EDB folks will concur.
>
> In my experience PG isn't used much in production on Windows in bigger
> companies.

Well, there is indeed not much, but it is used. At least I work for
one and Postgres is embedded in a couple of products on Windows.

> It's used a *lot* (and is quite probably the most
> frequently downloaded build from EDB or postgresql.org) as an embedded
> database in some applications, and for development/test. There are a
> huge number of Windows PostgreSQL users out there.

And they don't those ones.
--
Michael