Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: money type's overflow handling is woefully incomplete
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2017-12-12 16:47:17 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Really?  We've got test cases that intentionally exercise overflow
>> in the money code?  I think we could just drop such tests, until
>> such time as someone fixes the issue.
>
> Some parts at least (input & output), I think it's easy enough to fix
> those up.

There could be two ways to fix that:
1) Call the int8 equivalents with DirectFunctionCall2 and rely on the
overflow there, but this has a performance impact.
2) Add similar checks as in int8.c, which feels like duplicating code
but those are cheap.
You are heading to 2) I guess?

>> (OTOH, I bet we could drop reltime/abstime without too many complaints.
>> Y2038 is coming.)
>
> I'm actually about to send a patch doing so, that code is one mess WRT
> overflow handling.

Agreed. I think as well that those should be fixed. It does not seem
much complicated to fix them.
--
Michael