Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_dump, pg_dumpall and data durability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> One idea is to provide the utility or extension which fsync's the specified
> files and directories (including all the files under them). It may be overkill,
> though. But it would be useful for other purposes, for example, we can
> improve the durability of archived WAL files by setting this utility in
> archive_command, and we can flush any output files generated by psql
> by using it.

That's the pg_copy utility that we talked a couple of months
(year(s)?) back, which would really be useful for archiving, and the
main advantage is that it would be cross-platform. Still the patch
discussed here is more targeted, this makes sure that once pg_dump
leaves, things created are on disk, facilitating the life of users by
not involving an extra step and by making the safe behavior the
default.
--
Michael